[EM] Deluxe MDDA

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 2 22:28:09 PDT 2005

I certainly don't claim that this is a new idea. I'm just naming something
that has already been discussed.

With ordinary or plain MDDA, the voter gives an Approval vote to every
candidate s/he ranks.

With deluxe MDDA, there's a separate Approval cutoff, so that a voter can
rank all the candidates, and place the Approval cutoff anywhere among them.

Actually, when I say "deluxe MDDA", I'll mean the above method with power
truncation available.

That, along with the separate Approval cutoff, makes MDDA fully deluxe.

Power truncation would be good with ordinary MDDA too, but it seems to me
that the reason for proposing ordinary MDDA is that maximum simplicity is
desirable for a first public proposal. And presumably that requirement for
maximum simplicity would preclude having power truncation in that first
public proposal. So I don't usually consider ordinary MDDA to have power
truncation, though deluxe MDDA should have it.

Ordinary MDDA:

Any candidate is disqualified if another candidate is ranked over him/her by
a majority.

The un-disqualified candidate ranked by the most voters wins.

[end of ordinary MDDA definition]

Deluxe MDDA:

Any candidate is disqualified if another candidate is ranked over him/her by
a majority.

The un-disqualified candidate above the Approval cutoff on the most ballots
wins.

[end of deluxe MDDA definition]

As I said, deluxe MDDA should inclulde power truncation.

Power truncatation:

The voter can mark a box on his/her ballot to indicate that s/he wants each
one of her unranked candidates, U,  to be scored as if s/he had ranked all
of the other candidates over U.

[end of power-truncation definition]

Power truncation gets rid of strategy-dilemma for the voter who perceives an
acceptable/unacceptable situation. For that voter, under those conditions,
it's like an Approval election.

Approval, RV, and  MDDA with power truncation have the simplest strategy in
an acceptable/unacceptable situation.

With an acceptable/unacceptable situation, deluxe MDDA's separate Approval
cutoff isn't necessary, since one wants to equal-top-rank the acceptables
and power-truncate the unacceptables.

Mike Ossipoff