[EM] Re: majority rule, mutinous pirates, and voter strategy

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 27 13:56:47 PDT 2005

Hello James,

In the pirate example one could take a step in the direction of
proportional representation and give up the original idea of single
winner elections. It is the captain that is to be elected, and there is
a tradition of having only one captain on a ship. In this situation one
could consider arranging the proportional representation in a serial
mode, not in the traditional parallel mode. What I mean is that the
community could agree (beforehand) to divide the post in time, let's
say in n consecutive terms. I'm not proposing any particular method,
nor to do this in real life (just presenting ideas popping in my head),
but this would anyway be one way of dealing with the fractioned
electorate.

BR, Juho

P.S. To increase proportionality one could even consider n terms of
different lengths.