[EM] IRV with approval

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed May 18 08:44:47 PDT 2005

Sean,

--- Sean Harris <harris.sean at gmail.com> a écrit:
> Has anyone ever combined IRV with approval voting in order to eliminate
> some of the problems associated with traditional IRV?
>
> I have been searching but I haven't found anything quite like it yet.

Your idea is a little different, but (apparently independently) Douglas
Woodall and Chris Benham proposed a method in which the least-approved
candidate is repeatedly eliminated until there is a majority favorite.
Approval could be indicated by a cutoff, or it could be that all ranked
candidates are approved. If you use a cutoff, then the method is monotonic.

Woodall calls the method "Approval AV" and I've called it "Approval-
Elimination Runoff" or "AER."

Kevin Venzke