[EM] The issue of comments about Arrow's theorem

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed May 18 06:26:38 PDT 2005

At 11:31 PM 5/17/2005, Russ Paielli wrote:
>If I am not mistaken, Arrow's theorem says that you can't satisfy both the
>Condorcet criterion *and* the independence of irrelevant alternatives
>(IIA). Should that bother us? I think it should bother us at least a bit.
>I am bothered by the fact that eliminating a losing candidate can change
>the winner. Like failure of monotonicity, it suggests a certain irrationality

Bingo. Here is the core irrationality: even sophisticated election methods
can fail when an electorate is badly divided. And a divided electorate is
like a person who is in the middle of an argument with himself, who has not
yet resolved an issue in his mind, but who, whether out of impatience or
dire necessity, must make a decision immediately. Such decisions are really
not going to be made on a rational basis, but by a fast-response mechanism.
Like plurality. (The predator is hot on my heels, I come to a fork in the
unfamiliar road, which fork do I take? I'll take whichever one generates
the most action potentials, there is no time to engage in anything more
complicated than that. More often than not, my accumulated experience (i.e.
intuition) and instinct (hard-wired responses) will produce a better
outcome than a coin toss, but that only gives it survival value, not
rationality. Rationality takes time and process.

In a real environment, and most of the time, where there has been ample
time for discussion of an issue, where the alternatives are considered
openly in a fair forum, where those voting have the leisure to become
informed and can communicate and discuss with each other, and where all
alternatives are on the table as part of the process, all the voting
methods I've seen will produce the same result, *unless* a general
consensus has not emerged and there is severe polarization of the
electorate. Or the choices are not important, i.e., there is more than one
generally acceptable outcome. (In which case an apparent irrationality of a
result because of its failing one of the criteria is only an appearance,
just as people will accept a coin toss result if they are not strongly
attached to one of the possible outcomes. It simply is not worth the effort
to go through an extended process on that issue.)

Irrational election outcomes are generally the result of an inadequate
pre-election process. An intelligent and rational person will generally
avoid making a binding decision, absent urgent necessity, when in a divided
state of mind. Rather, the person will continue to mull the possibilities
until a clear path appears. A "clear path" means that there is an internal
consensus, most of the considerations, when pursued to the end, lead to the
same conclusion. Or the person considers that it isn't important which of
various possible outcomes are taken, the person is willing to try one to
see if it works....

An example presented by Russ exposes a significant aspect of the election
problem. He used a situation where a group was choosing between vanilla,
chocolate, and strawberry. Yet these are individual tastes and a situation
where people are forced to accept someone else's individual taste, absent
necessity, is oppressive. Regardless of what election method is used, if
the method chooses one flavor for all, it is going to be the tyranny of the
majority. So a sane organization is going to try to find a way to satisfy
as many of its members as possible, which might involve spending a little
more to buy more than one kind of ice cream.

(Perhaps by buying one flavor, the quantity purchased will be greater, and
thus the cost might be lower, this might be why the conditions require only
one flavor. But this would be an artificial constraint. Still, I can think
of a situation: There is an opportunity to make a bulk purchase for the
group, but only one flavor can be purchased. In this artificial example,
off the top, it would seem that approval voting would be used; however,
what a group would first decide, before voting, would be the goals of the
election? How important is it that all members be satisfied at least to
some degree? How serious an outcome is it that some members will be totally
disatisfied with the chosen outcome? If some members must be dissatisfied
no matter what outcome, is there some other course of action which could be
taken which could compensate them for this? For example, suppose the group
chooses a flavor which reasonably will be enjoyed by all but one member,
who happens to be allergic to that flavor. The group could pool their funds
and provide enough to that member to buy whatever flavor the member
chooses. But there is a general solution which falls out of Free
Association principles.)

The general Free Association solution is that those who want one flavor
pool their resources to buy it, and those who want another either pool
*their* resources to buy it, or they don't buy ice cream at all. Free
Associations don't collect unappropriated funds, so a member is never
forced to contribute to a cause which the member does not personally
support. It is this pooling, normal in most large organizations, which
creates election paradoxes, for there is a built-in inequity, almost
impossible to avoid, given that standard structure.

Note that I am not at all arguing against the necessity of such
organizations, where participation is at least to some degree involuntary.
But I think that *representation* must be fully voluntary, or it isn't
truly democratic representation, it is more a tool of governance, where the
sovereign has decided to consult the people but doesn't want to grant them
too much freedom to express whatever they actually prefer.

And, indeed, simply establishing organizations where the members have the
kind of freedom being envisioned (which includes the crucial freedom to
voluntarily delegate) could be quite revolutionary. But I don't think it
would be destabilizing, for destabilization is not generally a rational
choice, it causes far, far too much damage; in a large FA/DP organization,
deliberation will occur which incorporates the best thinking (as well as
the worst); trusting FA/DP would involve trusting that truth or wisdom will
out in a fair contest. That is the core idea of democracy. It works in
small organizations, in fact. It is scaling it that is the problem. Hence DP.

Note that share corporations in some aspects are FA/DP. (Proxies may not
seem to be delegable, and there is no automatic delegation mechanism, but
this defect could easily be rectified by any group of shareholders who
desired it, and it would restore true shareholder governance. FAs don't
generally hold property; but because the individual shareholders can
readily sell their shares, participation remains voluntary at all times and
thus the resemblance to FA can be seen as strong.) And, regardless of
whatever we might think about the ethics of modern corporations, and
regardless of the abuses of proxy power that takes place in corporations,
the structure has been phenomenally successful, to the point where
continued abuse of the defects in the system poses a great danger to
society. Fixing those defects might not be very difficult, once the true
source of the problem is seen. And people stop waiting for somebody else to
fix them, and realize that only they, collectively, have the power.

So how would the group of people choose what flavor of ice cream to
purchase?  There are very many ways, but the ways that I'd consider
intelligent all involve voluntary negotiation, they involve a process more
complex than a mere election method. It's obvious that plurality results,
Condorcet results, and approval results would all provide relevant
information toward making a decision, but the actual decision, in an
organization which wants to maximize member satisfaction and ongoing
voluntary participation, cannot be fixed to any specific method, I'd
suggest, without resulting in damage. And any method that is unanimously
accepted [not necessarily the *outcome*, but the method itself] will fully
satisfy this. That's the ideal, and, having had a fair amount of experience
with organizations which require full consensus, the ideal can often be
reached if the result is valued. It's obvious that the larger the
organization, the more difficult it can be to reach full consensus, and
beyond some not-well-defined size, full consensus will be impossible on
many issues. But it can still be approached. How closely remains to be
seen, for the process methods are still in development (in thousands and
thousands of experiments; unfortunately, FA/DP is only seeing a very few
experiments, and I'm aware of no experiment that combines all aspects of FA
and DP in a single organization).