[EM] Re: "Approval Later-no-Harm",

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Sun May 8 13:03:57 PDT 2005

Chris Benham chrisbenham-at-bigpond.com |EMlist| wrote:

> I also wrote:
> Another criterion that applies to rankings/approval
> methods interests me, which I might call "Disapproval
> Later-no-Harm":
>
> "Ranking a disapproved candidate must never harm an
> approved candidate".

Unfortunately, I don't think that can be guaranteed without violating
the Condorcet Criterion (as Ted points out below). Any time you rank
another candidate, you take a chance of making that candidate the CW and
taking the win away from one of your higher-ranked candidates -- no
matter how far down you rank the new candidate. Anyone who insists on
LNH must give up on CC, I think (Please correct me if I am wrong about
that).

I think it is safe to say that ranking another candidate is *less
likely* to harm an approved candidate if the newly ranked candidate is
disapproved rather than approved. How much less likely? That is a more
difficult question!

In other words, the approval cutoff of DMC/RAV is not as strong as
truncation, but it achieves a similar effect. It doesn't guarantee LNH
but it helps, without violating the CC.

--Russ