[EM] British Election and Duverger's Law

Anthony Duff anthony_duff at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 8 08:25:42 PDT 2005

Firstly, I think that Duverger's theory is wrong and that it
certainly doesn't deserve the status of "law".  His theory states
that a first-past-the-post election system leads to a two-party
system.  It is wrong because there are counter examples.  I conclude
that there is some other explanation for the stability of two-party
systems.

I suggest instead that two party systems, in functioning democratic
systems where the government is elected though single winner
elections, are stabilised by a tendency for people to decide that
they either support or oppose the government.  Those that don’t
support the government, in seeking to defeat the government,
"support" the most powerful opposition.  This is therefore a simple
polarising effect that needs no reference to plurality as the voting
method.  By "support" I don't simply refer to how votes are cast, but
to how people discuss and then persuade each other, and to the
alloting of resources by the rich and powerful.

But the question remains: Why have the British continued to elect
three distinct parties?  (whatever the reasons for the stability of
two-party systems)

I am a long way from Britain, and I am afraid I don’t know, but I
have some thoughts.  The British Labour party seems to represent a
wide political spectrum that includes the centre.  The Tories have
lost the moderate right to Labour (this seems quite clear).  Are the
Liberal Democrats surviving because the far left feels completely
abandoned by Labour?  The far left, although abandoned by Labour,
could never support the middle and far right Tories, and so they have
no choice but to support a third party.  Can someone comment: Has
British Labour been unpalatable to the far left for all of the last
eighty years?

Could part of the answer to the original question be that in Britain,
there is very strong diversity from one district to another?  A very
inhomogeneous distribution could be giving the House of Commons a
PR-like character.

Anthony