[EM] Percentage Support

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue May 3 22:59:57 PDT 2005

On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:50:30 +0000 MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> Curt--
>
> You wrote:
>
> You cannot
> derive, from a Condorcet ballot collection, how much percentage support
> each candidate got.  You can't give each candidate a share of 100% in a
> way that all candidates would agree on.  If you can, I'd love to know
> how.
>
> I reply:
>
> For that purpose, report on the percentages of 1st choice support. The
> difference between that and the Plurality results percentages is that
> the Condorcet 1st choice votes are going to be a lot more sincere and
> meaningful than those of Plurality.

Agreed that Mike says it well.

Condorcet produces an array that I suggest would be valuable to learn to
mine for value.

Adding an extra row to that array for the first choices would be minimal
new pain, and give you a better view of voter preferences than Plurality
can know about.

> Mike Ossipoff

                  If you want peace, work for justice.