[EM] Re: parties working to throw out top-two primary in Washington State

Araucaria Araucana araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Mon May 2 10:31:12 PDT 2005

On  2 May 2005 at 00:23 UTC-0700, James Green-Armytage wrote:
> Hi Russ,
>
> I don't know the details of the Washington State situation, so please
> correct me if I've misunderstood the new rule.

In WA, "Blanket Primary" means voters can vote for any candidates from
any party for any race in the primary, with the party winners
advancing to the general election.  This style was declared
unconstitutional a couple of years ago.

The primary we had last September was an "open primary"
(Montana-style), where voters can vote in partisan races from only one
party.  In this county, all party slates were on the same ballot.  But
voters don't have to declare their party affiliation to vote for a
party.

The current top-two is called the Louisiana-style primary, but I
believe it differs in some respects from Louisiana's.

--
araucaria dot araucana at gmail dot com