[EM] Criterias - weighted margins

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Thu May 26 21:26:03 PDT 2005

Relative margins were an attempt to obtain a behaviour
between margins and winning votes ( relative margins are thus
relative to the number of expressed ballots).

As the result was not the one expected, maybe weighted
margins would lead to some truncation resistance using
a margin-based criteria. Although I would fid it harder to
justify such a criteria. At least relative margins corresponded
to the case "unexpressed preferences are interpreted like
disinterested voters trusting other voters who took the time
to express a preference". Margin is equivalent to a 50/50
split of unexpressed preference, and winning votes simply discards
unexpressed preferences as if the elector did not vote.
I have no idea how to interpret weighted margins...

Relative Margins:     (A_{i,j} - A_{j,i}) / (A_{i,j} + A_{j,i})
Weighted Margins:   (A_{i,j} - A_{j,i}) * (A_{i,j} + A_{j,i})

Steph