[EM] Insignificant improvement is evil?

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon May 23 13:32:43 PDT 2005

I'd said:

>Critics of IRV haven't said that IRV is evil. We've only said that IRV
>isn't a significant reform or a significant improvement over Plurality.

You say:

The part after "We've only said that.." logically implies that either:

(1) "IRV  is  evil" , or

(2) "Plurality isn't evil, or is only slightly evil".

I reply:

Since when does "not a significant reform  or not a significant improvement
over Plurality" mean "evil".

Plurality is the worst voting system of all (Well,  Borda is worse in some
ways), but if you're going to go around saying that Plurality is evil,
people aren't goinig to take you seriously. That would be regreettable,
because, not listening to you, they wouldn't find out how undesirable a
voting system Plurality is, and its adverse affect on democracy.

Mike Ossipoff