[EM] Dave on approval, ranked ballots

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Thu Jul 28 12:51:43 PDT 2005

>From his remarks below I think that Lomax would agree with me that candidate A in the following example would likely be better for the electorate than candidate M:

Sincere
55 M>A>>B
45 B>A>>M

On the other hand, M would be more likely to win the approval election, unless a significant percentage of the M supporters were to vote altruistically like Lomax, for A.

In either case, we get a good winner.

The case I worry about is

sincere
60 A>>B>C
20 B>C>>A
20 C>B>>A

where the corporate polls are reporting:

disinformation
40 A>B>C
30 B>C>A
30 C>B>A

In this case all of the pundits are going to encourage A supporters to approve B as well.  I'm afraid that most of the A supporters would fall for it.

That's why I think that there should be some standard or target that comes out of the primary or preliminary vote that sets the stage for Approval.  "Approve or Dare" or "Lottery Informed Approval" or some other source of binding (hence reliable) information.

Small groups could use repeated approval balloting where the scores accumulate so that manipulation is counter-productive.

Large groups could form a small subset of voters by random sample to choose a "target candidate."  Then this target candidate is the winner unless some other candidate gets more than fifty percent approval in the general approval election, in which case the candidate with the most approval wins.  Since the proceedings of the small group are public, the general voters get an idea of the relative strengths of the candidates, etc. before they vote.

Alternatively, the small group could designate candidates or other proxies to pick the candidate to be "targeted" in the general approval election.

The target could be a lottery, like the Condorcet Lottery or Democratic Fair Choice  lottery.

Forest