[EM] Dave on approval, ranked ballots

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Wed Jul 27 12:31:33 PDT 2005

Can anybody cite a study showing cycles would be rare in "real"
elections with many candidates and truely ranked ballots (not 90% bullet
votes because of lazy voters)? This claim comes up again and again and
it seems to me that there is no evidence for this. At least my
simulations showed that when there is a set of closely tied candidates
and individual preferences are at least mildly independent then cycles
occur more and *more* frequently as the number of these candidates grows...