[EM] Dave on approval, ranked ballots

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Jul 27 09:58:32 PDT 2005

At 10:01 AM 7/27/2005, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>Dave,
>
> > Please give an example, but:
> >       No IRV - let that be a separate project.
> >       No cycles - likewise, unless you state that there is no problem
> > without cycles being involved.
>
>When no cycles are involved, Condorcet is 100% perfect. So I have to use
>examples with cycles:

Kevin indicated later approval of Approval, so this is a technical comment:

Condorcet is perfect, absent cycles, if one believes that the winner of a
majority of pairwise contests should be the winner of the election.
However, if the winner of the election should be that candidate who is most
widely approved, and if voters vote sincerely and are willing to stretch
themselves a little (i.e., to approve a candidate other than their
favorite), Approval does a better job, and this is not merely in some
artificial, unlikely situation.

It's a question of election philosophy.

Condorcet:

99 A>B>C

98 C>B>A

Assuming no truncation, A Wins, winning the pairwise contests of A vs. B
and A vs. C, by a vote of 99 to 98.

In Approval, B wins in what would be called a landslide under present
conditions, assuming that the voters all approve their top two candidates.