[EM] Dave on approval, ranked ballots

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Jul 26 15:24:55 PDT 2005

Dave,

--- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> My comparison of methods:
>       Approval - its backers like to brag, but it is not that simple -
> unlike Condorcet and IRV, voters CANNOT say:  I prefer Nader but, only if
> I cannot have Nader, give me Kerry as better than Bush.

However, ranked methods won't always obey your request. Condorcet methods
and IRV will both sometimes take the vote "Nader>Kerry>Bush" and elect Bush,
when if you had instead not ranked Nader, the method would elect Kerry. That
is, the method ignores the fact that you said "If I cannot have Nader, give
me Kerry."

Condorcet methods will sometimes see the "give me Kerry as better than Bush"
part and give the win to Kerry, when it could have gone to Nader otherwise,
despite the fact that your vote says "ONLY if I cannot have Nader, give me
Kerry."

The freedom of expression that a ranked ballot gives voters is to some
extent an illusion.

Kevin Venzke