[EM] Margins vs. Winning Votes

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 00:53:52 PDT 2005

On Jul 25, 2005, at 01:24, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> "Strategically" still turns me off.  Voters who preferred B over A,
> and had planned to vote accordingly, are gambling that they can get
> better results by claiming, instead, to prefer A over B:
>      In some cases they can, unfortunately, succeed at what they claim
> to want.
>      If these can change their votes, then so can others for other
> reasons, thus destroying the knowledge all used in plotting.
>      How cycles operate was used in the plotting.  Cycles are valuable
> in resolving near ties, but deliberately setting them up for intended
> results is tricky.

My thoughts around the pair-wise comparison based voting methods and
strategies are roughly as follows. Rating based methods are maybe too
vulnerable to strategies in contentious elections, so we may have to
satisfy with ranking based methods. Pair-wise comparison methods are a
wonderful solution that allows voters to express their preferences
quite extensively (but still easily) and in most cases without any
strategy problems. Sincere voting thus seems to pay off (better than in
many currently used election methods). Unfortunately we have the cycle
related problems (otherwise the methods would be quite flawless).
Natural cycles are luckily quite rare. Artificially generated cycles
are a bigger problem. The big question is if pair-wise methods are
still good enough to be recommended for use. I think the differences
between different tie breaking methods are not that big. Since all of
the pair-wise comparison methods have some of the basic
vulnerabilities, the more important question seems to be if the
pair-wise comparison methods are useful in general as a group. In real
election situation also the real life environment has an influence. If
majority of the voters vote sincerely, the strategic voting problem
remains just as background noise in the process without causing any
considerable harm (((hmm, the example I presented studied the the
possibility that very few strategic votes could pick a "bad
winner"...))). If the method and attitudes of voters are bad enough,
then strategic voting might be a problem. And if the impact of
strategic voting would be worse than what currently used election
methods have (e.g. some really bad candidates would be elected), then
we would need to deem pair-wise election methods unusable (is some
environments?) and would be forced to go back to (recommending) some
simpler election methods (e.g. IRV, two round runoff, plurality,
approval). So far I'm leaning in the direction that strategic voting
would at least in large public elections be marginal (or done mostly by
voters who didn't know that in the new method they don't need to vote
strategically but the a sincere vote is likely to defend their
interests in the best possible way). I'm also leaning in the direction
that voting methods that pick the best winner could be more useful than
ones that aim at eliminating strategies. Partly because people want the
method to provide best possible results, partly because the strategic
fixes may be marginal, partly to keep the method simple and
understandable, and partly because strategic countermeasures easily
lead people to thinking that strategic voting is a key property of the
method. I'm not 100% sure that the simplest methods work fine and I'm
still waiting for someone to prove that some methods are unusable and
some usable (but haven't seen (or understood :-) that yet). So, for me
the question is if the basic pair-wise comparison methods are strategy
free enough to be used as practical election methods as they are. And
my guess is, yes they are in most single winner elections.

> But here the example you constructed resulted in a win by the plotters
> in wv - and in the result they claimed to want, but which was worse
> for them than what they would have achieved without plotting, under
> margins.

Yes, based on this single isolated example one should recommend margins
based methods and not winning votes based methods. I in general do like
margins also since they seem to be a more natural measure of preference
than winning votes, so this result is just fine for me :-). Winning
votes have maybe some burden of being overloaded with hopes of finding
a panacea in the fight against strategic voting.

Best Regards,
Juho