[EM] Margins vs. Winning Votes

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sun Jul 24 15:42:50 PDT 2005

 Juho Laatu wrote in part:
> (P.S. Number of "1000 supporter parties" could be also higher
> than two,
> and number of candidates in each party could be higher than two, and
> the results/problems would stay the same.)

I'd be very careful with generalizations like this one. The
three-alternative case is qualitatively different from the two-alternative
case. The example itself depends upon their being an even number of voters
so the split can result in a tie. With the same 2000 voters and a third
candidate, you can't have a tie since 2000 is not 0 mod 3.