[EM] Re: rank/approval cutoff ballot

Araucaria Araucana araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 15:58:49 PDT 2005

On 21 Jul 2005 at 12:45 UTC-0700, Araucaria Araucana wrote:
> What about this primary method:
>
>      Approval ballot (as above)
>
>      A candidate with more than 50% first place votes wins outright.

Correction:

       If there is at least one candidate with more than 50% first
       place votes, the first-place vote winner wins outright.

>      Otherwise, if there is at least one candidate with more than 60%
>      (75%?  what is the safe cutoff?), the approval winner wins
>      outright.

Actually, 50% might be fine.  That would strongly discourage promotion
of weak opponents.

>      Otherwise, all candidates with more than 1% approval are advanced
>      to the general election and listed in order of first-place vote
>      totals, with approval scores also noted.
>
>      The general runoff election would use some ranked ballot method,
>      e.g. a ranked approval ballot with DMC tally :-).
>
>      Write-ins would be allowed on the approval-primary ballot, but
>      not on the general election ballot.

An alternative to not allowing write-ins would be to allow up to N
"official" write-ins, with, say, 1000 valid signatures turned by 1
week before the election.  They would be assigned one of N extra codes
allowed in that race.  I think Abd made a suggestion to this effect already.

>      The primary would have to be close enough to the general election
>      to be meaningful -- within 60 days, for example.

araucaria dot araucana at gmail dot com
http://www.metafilter.com/user/23101
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/User:Araucaria
Q = Qoph = "monkey/knot" -- see http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/alphabet.html