[EM] ERBucklin(whole) & FBC

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Jul 5 07:11:54 PDT 2005

Mike,

--- MIKE OSSIPOFF <nkklrp at hotmail.com> a écrit :
> A while back I said on EM that Bucklin met FBC, but Markus posted a Bucklin
> FBC failure example. I don't know if I'd said that ordinary
> non-equal-ranking Bucklin passes FBC, or if Markus's demonstration was based
> on an incorrect definition for a majority in Bucklin.

Non-equal-ranking Bucklin fails FBC mainly because it doesn't allow equal
ranking. So you can't vote for your favorite without delaying the votes received
by your other preferences.

> It certainly does sound as if ERBucklin(whole) passes FBC. That's
> encouraging that such a well known method as Bucklin has an obvious version
> that meets FBC.

Personally, I don't think it's so obvious, since the number of candidates
you rank at the top determines when your second-place candidates get their
votes.

> Shall I call it ERBW? It meets SDSC, but it loses SFC compliance. Bucklin,
> not being a pairwise-count method, has an easier handcount.

I think it would be a pretty annoying handcount, unless the voters are kind
enough to vote their second-place candidates in the slot corresponding to the
round in which those candidates will actually get their votes.

Kevin Venzke