[EM] Correlated Instant Borda Runoff, without Borda

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Fri Dec 23 09:51:19 PST 2005

Dan,

Dan Bishop wrote:

>*** EXAMPLE: CLONE-TRANSFER APPROXIMATION OF IRV ***
>
>Consider the election method:
>
>count the first-choice votes of each candidate
>while no candidate has a majority of the vote:
>    eliminate the last-place candidate
>    transfer that candidate's votes to their most-correlated candidate
>elect the candidate with a majority of a vote

I  can't  see any justification for this (versus proper IRV) at all. If
we eliminate candidates and transfer
votes, then I can't see how we can justify not transferring them exactly
where they "want" to go (or any
point in not doing that).

As I understand it,  Kuhlman's  "Correlated Instant Borda Runoff"  was
conceived of as way of  "decloning"
Borda.  IRV  is already Clone Independent, and so doesn't need  decloning!

Chris  Benham