[EM] plurality isn't so bad

Bob Richard electorama at robertjrichard.com
Fri Dec 23 08:07:52 PST 2005

Richard Winger wrote:

> [...] plurality winners aren't
> always so terrible.  Some presidents who have been
> elected with only a plurality of the US popular votes
> were among our best presidents, while some who were
> elected with huge majorities were among our worst.

It's not clear to me that performance in office is an argument for (or
against) any election method.  The question for us is not whether the
voters generally guess right (according to somebody's notion of guessing
right).  Our question is whether the methods used to aggregate
everyone's individual guesses into a collective decision do so fairly
(according to somebody's notion of fairness).  In place of "fairly" you
may substitute your own adverb.

Plurality fails according to many common notions of fairness--and other
adverbs--even when the candidates it picks perform well in office
(according to somebody's notion of good performance).

My two cents,
Bob Richard