[EM] Linear Spread Median Range Voting

Yves Dandurand yves.dandurand at internet.uqam.ca
Wed Dec 21 11:25:21 PST 2005

Suppose:

ABC:   9
ACB:  0
BCA:  5
BAC:  0
CAB:  16
CBA:  0

A>B = 25 v.s 5
B>C = 14 v.s 16
C>A = 21 v.s 9

"C" is a clear winner.

But suppose that only two "ABC" strategics électors vote "ACB" with Condorcet.  Then we go to a cycle and anything can happen depending of the tie breaker we choose. This is not "academic", this reflect a problem that all the traditional voting systems can't solve. I stand behind Lomax with the Median range because it shows clearly and honestly to everyone an ambiguity which is hidded in all other systems.  This method as the avantage to protect the vote of those who don't want to take a risk.   In reality, strategics voters vote on extreme values with median range, just like approval, and non strategic sometime vote on the medians ones.  In fact, the result is that the non-strategic and undecided voters finally decide for the strategic and clearly oriented ones. This is not what democracy is about?  Certainly, voting a median value is just like playing lotto, but it reflect perfectly the undecision of the voter, and the aberrations of the voting systems in general. Believe it or not, all the math Phd are at the same level than kids with lotto ! And the "wrong vote" of the both side normalize the aberrations. That's why I believe that this system is the best one.

When you are expressing a preference like ABC, in reality, you are doing that after evaluating all the options one on one.  Translating an individual evaluation in terms of a static preference order produce a distorsion.  So there is no possibility of "perfectly good methods" which can be found from ballots that do no reflect as well the voter intention. That's because of that fondamental aberration that strategics voters exist, because they are trying to find an advantage on that distorsion.

The only way we could maybe find better is a Condorcet method which produce random winners in case of cycle. This is in fact what the SARVO system of Mr. Smith is arguing for with range voting. But I think that the best random system can be find from the free and unpredictable action of the people themselves, just like the median range do, and not by a stupid machine.