[EM] number of possible ranked ballots given N candidates

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Wed Dec 14 13:44:13 PST 2005

A correction to my previous reply. Yes, the derivation I gave considers
A=B>C and B=A>C as 2 different cases (I think), but that is still correct if
we're talking about the symbolic form of the stored ballots as entered by
the voter. I think for the purpose at hand (compression of transmission
data) that is appropriate, since the cost of checking for every possible X=Y
is significant compared to the cost of storing x X=Y and y Y=X
configurations.

Also, from an experimentalists standpoint, there is a difference in changing
the = to a > (or >> for such methods) between the two forms, so knowing how
many of each form there are is valuable.