[EM] number of possible ranked ballots given N candidates

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Wed Dec 14 13:18:02 PST 2005

Thanks.  I think the number I was looking for is the "if equal rankings are
allowed", since I am considering truncation a special case of equal
rankings.  In other words, if there are 6 candidates, I would consider the
following two ballots to be identical:

A>B>C>D=E=F

the first just being a "shorthand" way of expressing the second.

And I suppose this should be obvious, but just to make sure, I consider the
following two ballots identical:

A>B=C
A>C=B

And of course
is an invalid ballot.

Given that, N! + 2^N -  1 is the correct answer?

BTW Paul are you happy I'm working with ways of using actual ballot data vs.
just the matrix? ;)

-rob