[EM] history of random component in government

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Tue Dec 13 22:03:48 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 13:01 +0100, Stephen Turner wrote:
> I mentioned recently that there was a conference on
> the Problems of Democracy here in Madrid.  I went to
> quite a few of the sessions.  There was not much about
> voting methods, though other stuff of interest.

Let's not forget perhaps the most relevant selection at random - that of
the citizen's assembly in British Columbia, who recommended proportional
representation via STV by a very strong majority after being educated on
all things voting systems for a few months.

This shows that you can teach the general public to support a better
voting system...you just have to pick them at random first :)

-Scott Ritchie