[EM] Rob Brown's "repair" of range voting

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Wed Dec 7 14:14:15 PST 2005

Quoting Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com>:

> If everyone votes Range in a balanced way, sincerely after thoughtful
> consideration, not exaggerating, you end up with an optimal election
> method, actually.

I believe it would only be optimal if the meanings of each ranking used by
everyone is exactly the same (i.e. a rating of 7 has the same meaning for
everyone and they would each give the same answer for what it means.).

Unfortunately, I can find no reason to think this would ever be the case -
except in the case of Approval Voting.

In the case of Approval Voting the meanings of the two values would be, I
believe, described the same by everyone...0 = I don't approve of them/I don't
want them to win; 1 = I approve of them/I wouldn't mind if they won.