[EM] question re: converting ballots into a matrix

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Tue Dec 6 21:45:59 PST 2005

Before everybody jumps all over me again, it is possible to determine the
Borda WINNER from the pairwise matrix using the method Chris described. But
it is not possible to re-create the Borda scores from it.

Nor is it possible to construct a pairwise matrix from just a list of the
Borda scores for all alternatives.

However, from a matrix that has alternatives as rows and rankings as
columns, it is possible to create a pairwise matrix and calculate Borda
scores. See, for instance, how I represent the computer rankings for college
football teams at http://football.kislanko.com/2005/bucklincomps.html (I
call it bucklincomps because you can use the same matrix to figure Bucklin
or Approval results).