[EM] Advantage of MDDA over Approval?

Anthony Duff anthony_duff at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 6 17:15:41 PST 2005

--- Jan Kok <jan.kok.5y at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the main technical problem with Approval is that it can be
> difficult to decide whether to vote for compromise candidates in
> addition to ones favorite.  Does MDDA help?

The special thing about approval is that it forces simplicity.  I see
the above question as arising out of a refusal to accept the
simplicity, and it results in an out-of-proportion amount angst over
something that you are ambivalent about.

For these compromise candidates, candidates that you are not sure
whether you support: Close your eyes, picture the candidate (alone),
having won, and ask yourself if you are happy with this.  If "yes",
then approve, otherwise don't.

Approval's huge advantage is simplicity, assuming that there is no
need to perform complicated analyses of hypothetical
exactly-borderline candidates.

Anthony