[EM] question re: converting ballots into a matrix

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Mon Dec 5 14:53:41 PST 2005

On 12/5/05, Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> > Has anyone ever considered also adding one-half a "point" to each of the
> > equals?
>
> Yes. It's equivalent to using margins.

Hi Kevin,

Not sure I understand what you mean. "Using margins" in what sense?

The pairwise matrix is used for lots of things, from an intermediate stage
in the calculation of various Condorcet methods, to a  "semi-verbose"
results display, and sometimes, for deconstructing back into ballots, or
even as an intermediate stage in non-condorcet tabulation methods.  I have
also been trying to use it as an intermediate stage in producing a
less-verbose  (i.e. "executive summary") results display for condorcet
elections.

I guess my question was, for all of the above, doesn't it make more sense to
convert the ballots into a matrix as I described?  Is there any case where
it is less preferable for some reason?

So how do you mean "using margins", as a particular condorcet method? Or
something else? I'm confused.