[EM] reply to Gilmour attack on range voting & social utility; CCd to RangeVoting

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Dec 2 13:14:30 PST 2005

Warren,

--- Warren Smith <wds at math.temple.edu> a écrit :
> Let me attempt to reply.  First of all, by expressing ABCD in that order
> you
> *already* are expressing a more-strong preference for A over D
> than for, say, C over D.  In many voting systems your vote would
> therefore have a stronger effect than some other vote about A versus D.
> So you are deluded in thinking that your kind of voting is "more
> fundamentally
> democratic" because it "omits" strength of preference information.

That doesn't follow unless Gilmour's "kind of voting" is one of the "many
voting systems" you refer to.

> Exactly wrong!  Social utility is THE overriding goal which trumps and
> encapsulates all else.

Surely you see a problem in relying on voters to tell you the social
utilities...

> The way out of that eternal morass is SOCIAL UTILITY which measures
> EVERY paradox-criterion and weights at appropriately autmoatically for
> you,
> so that you can come to a clear conclusion about which voting methids are
> better.

I don't mind range voting, but I wouldn't use a social utility argument
to explain what's good about it.

Kevin Venzke