[EM] grab bag of replies

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Wed Aug 31 15:12:30 PDT 2005

Dear Warren!

You wrote:
> Re your "Weinstein" idea that you would vote for candidates above the median with
> approval voting, since you do not believe in utility, I ask you to consider
>   A.  Josef Stalin
>   B.  Adolf Hitler
>   C.  Genghis Khan
>   D.  Jacques Chirac
> where (say) A<B<C<D in your opinion.

Depends on the priors. When they say D has more chance of winning than A
and B together, only D will be approved. When they say D has less
probability of winning than A and B together, also C will be approved by
Weinstein's strategy. Now show me please what the "tremendous harm to
humanity" will be of which you constantly talk.

> Re your DFC wiki page, I hate it.

Thanks again. You're a very emotional man it seems. I hope you have your
pills in reach since I heard that hating is not very healthy.

> I also think I want there to be a concise clear and unambiguous description of DFC,
> and that wiki isn't it.

Feel free to assemble one. By the way, I told you the "concise clear and
unambiguous description" you demand in one of my last emails after you
had mentioned DFC. Actually, the randomness is deliberately included in
the design since (i) no deterministic method will provide for group
strategy equilibria when there is no Condorcet Winner in the usual sense
- only randomized methods can do so, and (ii) it will provide for some
kind of "proportional representation" in the long run over a number of
DFC decisions.

Yours, Jobst