[EM] DMC, Ties & Eppley's RVH

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Aug 31 09:24:36 PDT 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:22:21 -0400 Eric Gorr wrote:

> Dave Ketchum wrote:
>
>> OnTue, 30 Aug 2005 14:45:58 -0400 Eric Gorr wrote:
>>
>>> http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Definite_Majority_Choice
>>>
>>> When it comes to the handling of ties, what objections would there be
>>> to using Eppley's Random Voter Hierarchy (RVH -
>>> http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~seppley/MAM%20procedure%20definition.htm)?
>>>

>>> It seems likely that injecting some possible randomness into an
>>> otherwise deterministic method would reduce the potential for
>>> strategic manipulation.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, it would make the complete explanation of DMC far
>>> similar then having to explain the six stages after which one still
>>> may(?) end up with an unresolved tie and no predefined way to resolve it.
>>>
>> I do not like Eppley, for sorting out an understandable description of
>> what it does is too much pain for the possible good.  Sure, it does math
>> and decides who won, but that level is not enough.
>

> Sorry...I am having trouble understanding what you are attempting to say
>  here other then you do not like the RVH.

RVH could be fine for those in EM that understood it, and most anyplace
for decisions that were not critical for those affected.

Back to voters - many of them see election decisions as very critical and
are less prepared to understand and accept something as complex as RVH.

Back to other flavors of Condorcet.  Seems like one argument against them
is difficulty of explaining cycles.  I claim cycles are near enough ties
that average voters should not be picky as to how they get resolved - so
RVH might be acceptable when cycles occur - and thus might make these
flavors more acceptable.

> The RVH seems an excellent way to resolve ties, giving those candidates
> who are more preferred an advantage over those who are less preferred.

A new puzzle - how can the following coexist:

      A tie - which says equality, and
      A more preferred candidate - which says inequality.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.