[EM] simple MMP-ish idea - works with plurality voting insingle-winner districts

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 08:03:49 PDT 2005

Adam Tarr Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 3:50 PM
>   I didn't describe it as "single winner"  I described it as
> working in single winner districts.  The point was, no change
> to the voting method would have to be made for this to work.
>
> It was more of an intellectual exercise in squeezing PR out
> of the current system, rather than a serious proposal that I
> think is wonderful.

One serious issue you have ignored is the distorting effect on the overall party balance of local tactical voting in the
single-member districts.  That is why all (?  most?) MMP systems have two votes - one for a candidate in the
single-member district, the other for a party at national or regional level.  Seats are allocated nationally or
regionally on the basis of the party votes.
James Gilmour