[EM] simple MMP-ish idea - works with plurality voting in single-winner districts

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Aug 30 14:27:26 PDT 2005

At 03:54 PM 8/30/2005, Adam Tarr wrote:
>Just a random thought I had the other day for a PR system that would
>work using only single-winner districts.

The scheme, as described, achieves proportionality by awarding
victory to some candidates who had only weak support in the districts
from which they were supposedly elected. This cannot reasonably be
called "single-winner." Rather, it is multiple-winner over the
collection of districts, and the assignment of winners to districts
is not a significant detail (except that I suppose that district
constituents might have someone to petition if they want governmental
action on something).

For full PR, Asset Voting is the king of the heap as far as I am
concerned. Not a vote is wasted. I've suggested the simpler form of
Fractional Approval Asset Voting to use for this. It is Asset Voting
because those who receive votes may consider them as Assets, used to
elect themselves directly, or in combination with votes from others
to elect themselves or others. It is Approval because the ballot is a
standard ballot, one marking position per candidate. It is Fractional
Approval because, in this scheme, votes are not lost (as they are in
regular approval), so dividing the votes is appropriate and,
actually, necessary. But votes are divided automatically, not, as in
regular Asset, by voters assigning fractions. This system produces a
maximally representative assembly with exact proportional
representation (where it fails to do this, it fails by the acts or
failures to act of specific and publicly identified persons, who can
thus be held responsible by those who voted for them.)

(The "Fractional Approval" aspect is not essential, it is only used
where a voter wants to delegate the votes to more than one person. In
Delegable Proxy, which is quite similar, the implementations I've
been working on require a single assignment, and this is quite
important because DP is not only an election method, it is also a
communication system that works in both direction....)

To use a form of Asset voting for district-based semi-PR, where every
district has a representative who has been chosen by majority vote
*within the district*, tiny subdistricts are used, perhaps elementary
school districts. Each subdistrict elects a subdistrict
representative. Approval voting would serve quite well for this. Then
the subdistrict representative has the authority to use votes equal
to the district population to elect a member of the assembly. Those
subdistricts whose votes contributed to the election of that member
are effectively merged. This is districting by a form of deliberate,
benign gerrymandering. It would allow any party which can win a
majority in even the tiniest subdistrict to exercise political power,
and if they can win a majority in enough of these subdistricts, they
can gain a seat.

This scheme might pass muster for congressional districts, unless
federal law requires such districts to be contiguous. (I think that
there are districts which are "contiguous" only by virtue of weird
patterns drawn through bodies of water.... so I think this might
indeed be a matter of state law, not federal. And maybe not.) A
similar scheme could be used with a contiguity requirement, but it
would be less advantageous to third parties.

However, full PR must allow parties with scattered membership to
still have representation, as long as they can muster enough total
votes to reach the quota. Asset Voting allows this to happen
*without* being party-list. The individuals who receive the votes
might be party representatives, indeed, but they might also be
independent. And, big secret: if write-in votes are allowed (and they
should be), *anyone* could serve as an elector in such a system. If
everyone wrote in their own name, how would this be different from
what we have now? Well, votes would be reassigned in Asset
*publicly*, which means that quid pro quo can be involved. It is a
deliberative process. (Some political scientists list bargaining
separately from deliberation, but to me that are aspects of the same
thing, and both are quite different from aggregation, i.e., voting.)