[EM] Re: 15 reasons to support DMC

Araucaria Araucana araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 10:39:52 PDT 2005

On 28 Aug 2005 at 16:55 UTC-0700, Dave Ketchum wrote:
> I continue to question adding Approval to Condorcet - can it really
> be worth the pain of trying to be understood?
>
> PS - a few days ago I found out about the Condorcet group, that DMC
> is important there, and looked for a definition - finding that NONE
> of the subject lines led me to such.  Is a definition now easily
> findable on both Condorcet AND EM?

Googling for Definite Majority Choice takes you here:

     http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Definite_Majority_Choice

Here is a summary, stripped of extra terminology:

,----
| - Ordinal ballot with approval cutoff.
|
|   * For example, each slate of candidates could have an extra
|     fictional candidate, "Not Approved".
|
|     The approval score is the number of votes FOR a candidate
|     AGAINST Not-Approved.
|
| - Eliminate candidates who are defeated one-to-one by any other
|   higher-approved candidate.
|
| - Among the set of remaining candidates, eliminate any candidate who
|   is defeated by a lower-approved candidate.
`----

In the case of no ties, there is a unique winner.

I won't discuss strategy, but many of the same considerations apply as
in Approval Voting.

I'm leaving my current job on the 31st, and it may be a month or so
before I start again at my new one, so don't expect to hear from me
for a while.

araucaria dot araucana at gmail dot com
http://www.metafilter.com/user/23101
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/User:Araucaria