[EM] Range voting is just a Borda count with a bunch of throwaway candidates

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Fri Aug 19 13:58:58 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 07:39 -0600, Adam Tarr wrote:
> Scott,
>
> That would only be true if:
>
> a)  The number of throwaway candidates was EXTREMELY large, so the
> difference in Borda between a first and second place vote was
> negligible, and

Only if you want to give identical ranges to a few candidates other than
0.  I could be mistaken, but I believe that this is relatively uncommon
among range voters - there's usually some use of the range.

> b)  The "throwaway" candidates could in fact be depended on to be
> disqualified independently of the election process.  Otherwise, in a
> Borda vote one of them could win.

We can depend on this, however, if we allow a large number of write-ins.

> Since these two things are generally not true, Range and Borda are not
> generally equivalent.

I didn't mean to imply they were.  I meant to imply that Range (without
equal ratings) was generally equivalent to Borda with a bunch of
throwaways ;)  It does get you thinking a bit, however.

-Scott