[EM] Range voting is just a Borda count with a bunch of throwaway candidates

Adam Tarr ahtarr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 06:39:57 PDT 2005

Scott,

That would only be true if:

a)  The number of throwaway candidates was EXTREMELY large, so the
difference in Borda between a first and second place vote was
negligible, and

b)  The "throwaway" candidates could in fact be depended on to be
disqualified independently of the election process.  Otherwise, in a
Borda vote one of them could win.

Since these two things are generally not true, Range and Borda are not
generally equivalent.

-Adam