[EM] Re the "official" definition of "condorcet"

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Fri Aug 12 12:09:17 PDT 2005

Warren,
You  quoted:

>1. condorcet.org definitions page:
>"Name: Condorcet Criterion
>Application: Ranked Ballots
>Definition:
>If an alternative pairwise beats every other alternative, this alternative must win the election.
>Pass: Black, Borda-Elimination, Dodgson, Kemeny-Young, Minmax, Nanson (original), Pairwise-Elimination , Ranked Pairs, Schulze, Smith//Minmax, Sum of Defeats
>Fail: Borda, Bucklin, Coombs, IRV"

And remarked:

>(Note that, revealingly, they do not consider range voting or
>plurality voting to either pass or fail.)

Maybe you missed  "Application: Ranked Ballots".   Blake Cretney doesn't
classify  RV or  plurality voting (aka FPP) as ranked-ballot methods.
He  is  referring only to methods that
reduce to  FPP  when there are  two candidates, so  there is no
ambiguity  about his  meaning of  "pairwise beats".

For  a method  to meet the CC, it must allow the voters to express all
their pairwise  (binary) preferences  or in other words their full
ranking. That cuts out FPP, Approval and
limited-slot  ballot methods with fewer available slots than there are
candidates.  Then  it must elect  any candidate that pairwise beats all
the others.  X  pairwise beats Y  if  more
voters rank X above Y  than vice versa.  No  ambiguity that I can see.

A Range Voting ballot  with many more available slots than there are
candidates does allow the voter  to give his/her full rankings. It can
be regarded as simply a ranked ballot
with some extra extraneous ratings information on it.  But just because
RV uses this extra information,  I  don't see any need  to
"generalize"  the  CC  to  accommodate it.

>This no-hyperlink choice is in fact a plausible way to go because then the condorcet
>criterion is about the logical self-consistency of a method, as opposed to the consistency
>of method A as judged using method B, which is kind of an unfair pre-biased way to judge A.

Voting methods don't have any feelings or rights, so  therefore this
alleged  "unfairness"  doesn't matter.

Chris  Benham