[EM] Comments re Robert's Rules of Order

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Aug 4 14:23:17 PDT 2005

Lomax demonstrates familiarity with Robert's Rules (RONR).

Suter writes a LOTTA words, for which I have general thoughts:
      RONR is WIDELY used, and gets amended about every decade to do
additions and other improvements, but without disturbing its reasons for
popularity.
      ANY set of bylaws based on RONR can include changes and additions,
such as supporting approval voting.  Those doing such amending need to
understand RONR well enough to avoid accidental destruction.
      A replacement is not deserving unless it is enough better to deserve
wide usage (or done by some group that can justify and afford the related
costs).
      True subsets of RONR are doable, and appropriate for those who need
only the everyday subset.  Here those with fuller understanding need to
tread lightly when needs of a meeting require additional abilities.

On details:
      Suter would make a motion to end debate debatable - which sounds
like destroying the purpose of the motion.

DWK