[EM] Comments re Robert's Rules of Order

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Aug 3 21:48:33 PDT 2005

I don't think Mr. Suter has understood what I wrote. I was responding to:

>When meeting rules become as extensive as the
> >>latest version of Robert's Rules, they benefit people who have
> >>the time and patience to learn their details and harm people
> >>who don't.

This is true if

(1) there is no chair who knows the rules and acts to help members to do
what they want to do. (That is, to follow the correct procedure; for
example, if a member were to rise and say "I think we have talked about
this too long," the chair might say, "Shall I take this to mean that you
are moving the Previous Question, so that we will then proceed to a vote?"
If the chair does not act affirmatively to help members, if, with a comment
like this, the chair just sits there and then perhaps recognizes someone
else, yes, the member would have been injured by not knowing the rules.

And (2) If there is no chair who is doing this, it still can be enough if
there is anyone there who does it. This does not *have* to be a member of
the same faction as the ignorant member, but it can help if it is, and,
here, by "faction" I simply mean that the helper and the member agree on
the immediate issue. Which in the example I gave could result in the other
member taking the hint from the first one and then directly moving the
Previous Question.

My point is that only a few people knowing the rules and caring about
democratic process rather than just about manipulating the rules in order
to win can be enough. And I've seen this work beautifully with groups that
mostly didn't know the rules at all, except for the few. Yes, that does
theoretically put those "few" in an increased position of power, which they
could potentially abuse. But with some experience, the rules make more
sense and are easier to learn.

>The rest of your comments basically say that the rules will work
>fine if properly understood and applied by the chair and by all
>"factions" at a meeting.

No. The chair is enough. The bit about other factions is an additional
possibility: a few members knowing about the rules and applying them for
the benefit of helping the group to make truly democratic decisions is
enough. They do not have to come from all factions. It is really enough if
there is *one* person who will advise members. I've seen organizations
designate someone for that purpose.

>  But a big problem is that they often
>are not well understood, and one reason they aren't is that they
>are unnecessarily and intimidatingly detailed and complicated.

They are detailed and complicate when taken all at once. But it is
perfectly acceptable for a meeting to adopt the full rules and then suggest
one of the popular summaries for the general member. The vast majority of
situations will fall within the simple rules.

>Furthermore, when strongly competing factions exist, it is very
>common for one to have a better understanding of the rules than
>the other(s) (or for one to to have one or a few people who
>understand them much better than anyone in the other faction(s)).
>This happens all the time in the real world, as opposed to the
>ideal world you seem to be writing about.

I've substantial experience with the rules, but I will say that it has been
in organizations which, though sometimes quite fractious, were not
"strongly competing." Rather, the members generally did share a goal.

The question was about "small group methods." Not about vicious opponents
struggling for control of, say, a rough-and-tumble union.

>  It is also very common
>for people and factions who understand the rules better to use
>their command of the rules to get favored motions passed and
>defeat ones they don't like.

It only takes a small few of the oppressed factions to wake up for this to
backfire, or at least to become pretty difficult. Of course, if the
majority of the members aren't paying attention, if they can be snookered
by the faction with a command of the rules, sure. But the problem there is
not the rules, it is the simple one that people who are asleep can easily
be robbed, unless at least some of them are trustworthy and vigilant, and
the rest trust the vigilant ones.

>In addition, I believe some of the rules are just wrong. The worst one
>is the rule that a motion to end debate cannot itself be debated.

Ah. You believe that. I don't. I won't even bother to explain why, it is so
obvious. If, however, an organization decides that this rule is not good,
Robert's Rules actually recommends that organizations amend the rules as
they see fit.

Yes, Previous Question can be abused. But typically it takes a
supermajority to pass, by default, as I recall the rules.

>  That
>rule, perhaps more than any other, is used strategically by people
>who are more interested in getting their way than in ensuring that
>a meeting is conducted democratically.

If two-thirds of the people at a meeting don't want debate to continue,
then I'd say that it is undemocratic to allow it to continue. Sure, it can
be foolish to move Previous Question when there is unexpressed relevant
opinion. But this boils down to the fact that, in a democracy, the people
can make foolish decisions.

>  In one meeting I participated
>in where an organization was doing a major revision of its constitution
>and bylaws, the use of that rule abruptly ended discussion of a
>proposal that would have changed an important aspect of the
>organization and might have greatly strengthened it.

By what vote did the Previous Question pass?

Here is what I say: if you have a contentious environment, you'd better
have your ducks in a row *before* the meeting, or you can get creamed.
"Discussion of a proposal" does not have to happen in meetings. You could
send a letter to every member, for example. Or write a discussion of your
reasons for making the proposal and hand it out. Previous Question can't
stop you from communicating directly with members, it just deprives you of
the floor on that particular matter.

>  The provision
>deserved more debate than most of the other provisions that were
>discussed, yet because people at the meeting wanted to get
>finished, it was rejected after a very short and inadequate debate,
>following one argument against it that I felt was extremely unfair
>(though superficially persuasive) but that was not permitted to be
>answered, thanks to the use of one Robert's rule that I happen to
>think needs to be fundamentally changed.

What, exactly, would you suggest as an alternative?

Previous Question is actually a crucial rule, and without it, or where
members of a meeting don't know to use it, abuses far more serious than
what was reported above can happen. In particular, fanatic factions can
draw out debate endlessly until enough people leave the meeting -- people
have a life! -- that the faction can get its way.

Now, consensus organizations don't have this kind of problem, though they
do often have the endless meeting problem. There *are* possible rules that
modify Previous Question, but the details of them would vary greatly with
the kind of meeting. If not every member of the meeting has risen to speak
on an important motion, and one who has not spoken wants to speak, a
meeting really should allow it. This really should be the *custom*. It
can't be a rule, but if you can get two-thirds of the organization to be so
rude as to not allow everyone to say something who wants to, then, yes, the
results are not going to be satisfactory to those who think something was
missing. Suppose, however, that two-thirds of the meeting thinks that the
matter has long been resolved, and, as described above, really wants to
move on. Should the one-third be able to force them to listen to more?
*That's ALSO rude!*

With something like bylaw revisions, I'd really have suggested written
proposals and arguments, preferably distributed in advance of the meeting.
And I'd suggest that "factions" (i.e., those who agree on a particular
proposal) coordinate their activites, so that the best speakers speak and
so that all the necessary arguments are clearly presented.

This case was *not*, as stated, an example of a faction cynically using
Previous Question to get what they wanted. Rather it was the assembly
making a decision that the writer did not agree with. Whether the writer
was correct or not about the wisdom of closing debate, it seems that the
writer would not allow the assembly the right to make that decision, but
perhaps would have a rule that forces the assembly to allow debate to
continue. And that's not democratic! Robert's Rules actually deviates from
pure democracy by requiring a supermajority, but experience has shown that
(1) supermajority is necessary until and unless people come to
instinctively value full expression and (2) there is little harm done by
requiring supermajority.

>You totally ignored a possibility I was trying to express -- that
>there may be alternatives to Robert's Rules that would work better
>and result in more democratic meetings and decisions in most
>if not all situations. I believe there are. But they won't be discovered
>through debates about Robert's Rules. They will be discovered
>by open-minded and open-ended as well as thoughtful and
>well-informed experimentation with different kinds of meeting
>rules and decisionmaking processes. Such experimentation
>will have to be conducted by people who, unlike yourself, are
>willing to at least seriously consider that there may be better
>ways to conduct meetings.

This is utter hogwash. About me, that is. I've a great deal of experience
with alternative rules. I'm just claiming that Robert's Rules are a widely
available, long-tested, and, yes, easily understood set of rules that
*work* to implement democratic deliberation and decision-making. And much
that is valuable about the alternatives I've seen is quite possible within
Robert's Rules, but, it's true, most people don't understand the rules. But
instead of trying to learn them, instead of realizing that, if they have a
complaint about the rules, there might well be a rule that addresses that
complaint.

Bylaw revisions should be extensively studied in committee, there should be
hearings or the equivalent, where the rules are suspended, or most of them
are, and then formal meeting process merely ratifies the result and gives
the minority a last-ditch opportunity to alter the result.

So say it more explicitly, the answer within Robert's Rules to the problem
given with the Previous Question cutting off debate is to shove most of the
discussion to environments which are outside the Rules. And this is what
General Robert would recommend, I think, discussing in committee or in the
Committee of the Whole.

The problem was a time problem, and the rules provide excellent tools for
dealing with time problems, such as Orders of the Day, which is much
under-utilized. (Why was there no time to debate that amendment? Probably
because another issue took up all the time. Orders of the Day prevents one
issue from killing another; it automatically tables the issue on the floor
with an undebatable motion for Orders of the Day, if the scheduled time has
come for a new issue to be taken up. I forget the specific details, I knew
them at one time (i.e., does it require a second? -- I think yes.)

I'm *not* a parliamentarian, technically, though I served as one for a
national organization's conference.

>In fact, many alternative rules and meeting and decisionmaking
>processes have been experimented with and found quite useful --
>and, in the view of at least some people, far superior to Robert's
>Rules.

Yes, I've heard this many times. And when I talked to the people, I found
that they did not understand Robert's Rules. Sure, there are alternative
meeting processes that *sometimes* work much better than Robert's Rules, or
seem to until a person comes along who is the very reason why Robert had a
Rule to deal with the situation this person will create.

I've seen full consensus process result in a situation where the large
majority were thoroughly dissatisfied with a situation, but the situation
continued because of one or two persons. Not just continued for a few
minutes or a few hours. For a few years. I saw people leaving that
community -- it was cohousing -- because they couldn't take the meeting
process any more.

Don't get me wrong: I *like* consensus process. But it can be seriously
abused and abusive. What I say is that good meeting process will be common
when we have two conditions: first, the majority values consensus
sufficiently to try to reach it, and second, the majority retains the right
of decision. Otherwise, inevitably, consensus ends up being minority rule
whenever the status quo favors the minority.

>  The fact that none of them has yet becomed as widely
>accepted doesn't mean they aren't better or that they won't
>someday become more widely accepted than Robert's Rules
>now are.

The comment is useless unless an alternative to Robert's Rules is
suggested, which has not happened here.