[EM] Comments re Robert's Rules of Order

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Aug 2 10:53:44 PDT 2005

At 11:44 AM 8/2/2005, RLSuter at aol.com wrote:
>I have to challenge Dave's recommendation of Rober'ts Rules
>of Order. While I don't doubt that it is the result of a lot of thought
>and contains a lot of worthwhile advice about how to conduct
>meetings, it also has major weaknesses that its advocates have
>never adequately considered.

It also has strengths that are commonly overlooked. Among them is the
provision that any organization can and should set its own rules. Robert's
Rules are merely a set of time-tested rules that assign decision-making
power to the majority at a meeting.

>First, at something like 800 pages, it is way too long. Much
>shorter alternatives to Robert's Rules have been written and
>used widely, especially outside of the U.S. One U.S. book I
>especially like is Cannon's Consise Guide to Rules of Order
>by Hugh Cannon (less than 200 pages), originally published
>in 1992. When meeting rules become as extensive as the
>latest version of Robert's Rules, they benefit people who have
>the time and patience to learn their details and harm people
>who don't.

There is an assumption here, which is that there is no chair who
understands the rules and considers it his or her duty to help members to
use the rules to get what they want. A good chair can make all the
difference between a terrible meeting process and one which sings. A good
chair can drastically reduce the time that it takes to make decisions by
sensing consensus and proposing action to express it.

The fact is, however, that any member of the meeting can do the same, even
in the presence of a biased or ineffective chair. It really only takes one
member to understand the rules well in order for it to work. As long as
that member uses the knowledge to advance the cause of democratic process,
and not merely to pursue his or her own private agenda.

In a polarized environment, then, it would be important for any faction to
have someone who knows the rules well. It is *not* necessary for everyone
to understand more than the simplest rules. So for the average member, a
simple summary of Robert's Rules is quite enough. And the full rules can be
available to cover the more obscure contingencies.

>Second, Robert's was written and revised by people who
>weren't well informed about alternative voting methods for
>choosing among 3 or more options. As a result, the rules are
>written in such a way that they strongly encourage a series
>of yes or no decisions about particular motions and don't
>encourage votes among three or more alternative simultaneous
>motions.

Yet any member who wants to propose an alternate election method can do so.
What Robert's Rules will suggest -- this is my sense -- is that the outcome
of *any* process is best ratified, by a yes/no vote. Otherwise you end up
with all the well-known quirks of election methods. A ratification stage is
simple and quick.

Yes, Robert's Rules do encourage single-question motions. And, indeed, very
many questions really are best addressed in that manner, provided that full
amendment process is also available. And questions that do not seem to be
single-question issues really should, in my opinion, be reduced, ultimately
to a single yes/no question. "Shall the result of our fancy-dancy
Condorcet/Approval/Range election system, being Bozo the Clown, be
accepted?" If it is, then it really does not matter what system was used.
The winner had majority approval, at least. But good process will produce,
usually, in deliberative bodies, much better than a mere majority winner.
As I've written before, I've seen very contentious multi-choice issues,
with fierce partisans for each possible outcome, indeed swearing that they
would never accept anything else, end up, after good process, with a
*unanimous* vote to accept an alternative different from their favorite.
They simply came to understand that the winner was better for the
organization even though they preferred something else. An organization is
weakened if it is divided over something important....

>Third, Robert's appears to encourage adversarial forms of
>decisionmaking whereby people try to push through motions
>they strongly favor instead of nonadversarial forms whereby
>people seek to to go beyond currently favored views in an
>effort to achieve more consensual win-win decisions.

The Rules are really quite neutral about this. If you've never seen the
rules used well, by a skilled chair, then you may only have seen
adversarial situations with a poor choice for chair. In addition, it would
have to be that in this context, there was nobody present with the skills
to advise the meeting, which any member can do under Robert's Rules (by,
for example, raising a point of order, or by appealing the ruling of the
chair to the body), or that those who had the skill were trying to use it
to gain factional advantage rather than trying to unite the organization.
All too common.

Robert's Rules, by themselves, will not heal a bitterly divided group. But
they can assist the process if members who want this know how to use the
rules. Most of what you'd need to know is in the brief compendia of the
Rules you can easily buy or find in used bookstores. Or on-line. But if the
members want to fight, what can the Rules do against the wish of the
majority? If a member appeals the ruling of the chair, and the members
don't listen and consider the appeal carefully but are just irritated that
some troublemaker has been making waves, well, the organization will get
what the majority deserve. Poor process. It is quick and easy to appeal and
to get a definitive answer under Robert's Rules, and any chair who allows
debate over the rules to proceed a long time doesn't understand his or her
duty.

(If you want to *change* meeting rules, it is a really good idea to try to
work on that in committee or in caucus, not to try to hash it all out on
the floor, at least not unless a majority want to work on it in that way).

If a majority already knows what it wants to do, it can do it quickly and
efficiently under Robert's Rules. Yet the Rules do provide many
protections, in their default form, for the minority. Such as a 2/3 rule to
cut off debate and proceed to vote. That rule can be abused, to be sure.
But one person's "abuse" is another person's "protection of the
organization from major decisions not widely accepted." It is fascinating
to me, that, if I have understood the issue correctly, the plan to invoke
cloture in the U.S. Senate in the presence of filibuster with less than the
rule's 60% requirement, by a simple ruling of the chair, requires that
chair to make an illegal ruling, which is then sustained by a majority
vote. Under Robert's Rules, and the Senate does not use Robert's Rules but
its own rules which resemble Robert's Rules, the chair is only a stand-in
for the majority, which has absolute authority to overrule or confirm the
chair. So Robert's Rules are vulnerable to this maneuver: all it takes is a
chair willing to compromise his or her duty, and a majority willing to
confirm that. And I don't see any way around that. A majority can, in a
democracy, do pretty much what it likes, if it is determined and has enough
time. A simple majority in the U.S., properly distributed and maintained,
can amend the constitution, it just takes a little process. (Actually, a
simple plurality can do this. I don't think people realize the risks.)

Robert's Rules are intended for deliberative bodies, whereas election
methods in general are designed for aggregative process. Given a choice,
where the outcome matters, I'd go for deliberative process over aggregative
every time. If there is time. And if the process is truly democratic.