[EM] RE: [Condorcet] 15 reasons to support DMC

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sat Aug 27 09:42:17 PDT 2005

Dear Anthony and Warren!

DMC (Definitive Majority Choice) was discussed here some months ago
after Russ had suggested it under the name RAV (Ranked Approval Voting).

There are at least three possible ways to determine the DMC winner, all
giving the same result:

Either: Call a candidate "acceptable" if s/he is not pairwise defeated
by any more approved candidate.
Then find the "acceptable" candidate which defeats all other acceptable
candidates.

Or do it like a runoff: Successively remove the least approved candidate
until there is a Condorcet Winner (=until some candidate pairwise
defeats all of the remaining candidates). This is for IRV lovers :-)

Or do it by a resorting process: Sort candidates from top to bottom by
descending approval. As long as there is a neighboured pair of
candidates oh which the lower one defeats the upper one, swap the
topmost such pair in the list.

All three methods give the same winner (except in the very rare case of
ties for which we must yet agree on some tie-breaking technique).

There is also an Elektowiki page on DMC.

Jobst