[EM] Re: parties working to throw out top-two primary in Washington State

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Apr 27 13:27:39 PDT 2005

So now the parties will need to have their own "private pre-primaries"
before the official so-called "primary." And the general election will
almost surely exclude minor parties.

Or will the "we'll-tell-you-how-to-run-your-party" Nazis prohibit the
pre-primaries? Think about the implications of that, folks.

Gov. Schwarnegger actually supported the top-two primary system in
California last election, but CA voters were smart enough not to go for
it. I like Arnold, but he was "out to lunch" on that one.

The people who concocted this idea have no clue about the purpose of
primary elections. The purpose of primaries, of course, is to allow each
party to consolidate its votes behind one candidate.

The fact that a majority was ignorant enough to fall for this scheme in
Washington does not bode well for the future of voting systems.

--Russ