[EM] Re: Juho: strategy

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 22:12:41 PDT 2005

Hello James,

See embedded comments below.

Best Regards,
Juho

On Apr 17, 2005, at 13:19, James Green-Armytage wrote:

> 	Hi Juho. Here is a reply to your April 4 post, where you suggested
> that
> large scale strategic manipulation in Condorcet methods will be
> unlikely.
> I like your professional wrestler example almost as much as I like the
> pirates. :-)
> 	I think that I have confronted most of the arguments you raise
> before. I
> don’t mind going back over old terrain, because the discussion is
> always
> subtly different each time. But if my reply is too brief, you might be
> able to find more in the archives, or on my web page, or something like
> that.

I have written on practical election situations since it seemed to me
that that area has not been covered sufficiently on this mailing list.
Should I read your comment so that strategic manipulation of large
public Condorcet elections has already been discussed widely on this
list and proven to be easy? (I'm sure each strategy has been discussed
in numerous mails but that is not what I'm looking for.)

> 	Basically, you seem to be saying that successful burying strategies
> are
> difficult to coordinate, and that there is a chance of them backfiring.
> Both of your arguments are valid, and they are shared by many other
> people, but they may not be quite as strong as you think. I’ll address
> the
> separate issues separately.
> 	As for coordination being difficult, that’s true. The more reversals
> are
> necessary to create a successful burying strategy, the harder it will
> be
> to pull off, no question. In my example, a lot of reversals are
> required.
> If the C faction was larger, the strategy would be easier. E.g., given
> 31: A>>B>C
> 29: B>>A>C
> 15: C>>A>B
> 15: C>>B>A

You introduced now also notation ">>". Does that maybe refer to S/WPO
or approval or some other particular method? If we are talking e.g.
about S/WPO, then there are two alternatives. Either voters vote
sincerely as they do or they could arrange their preferences
strategically. What did you have in mind?

> … only slightly more than half of the B faction members need to reverse
> (B>C>A) to pull off the strategy.

Yes, in this example less strategic votes are needed. Getting 56% of
the democrat voters of USA (B party) to vote strategically B>C>A is
still challenging. I think that doesn't happen in elections whose
spirit is to vote sincerely or if each voter decides on the strategy
herself. This would require a massive campaign (by the democrats or by
the press) that promotes certain strategic voting method.

The higher number of C voters (that don't seem to have any clear
opinion on whether A or B is better) would make it easier to try to
achieve victory by influencing the opinions of the C voters.

And if 2 of them would change their opinions from C>B>A to C>A>B, the
strategy of the B supporters (17: B>C>A) would be lost and A would win
again.

I note that if the votes were further changed to something like
27-25-24-24 (from the 31-29-15-15 of he modified example and from the
46-44-5-5 of the original example), then the strategy would be even
easier to apply but at the same time risk of electing C would increase.
This burying strategy thus seems to be seeking place to live between
the risks of electing C and failing to get sufficient number of B party
voters voting strategically.

At the same time A party should not vote strategically. If 46% of
republicans (A party) use the same tactic (as the 56% of democrats)
voting A>C>B (in the modified example). Then we are about at the
tipping point to elect either C or A (or B). This of course depends a
bit on how reliable he opinion polls are and if all of them give the
same result or not.

In real life elections I think the difficulties and risks are still too
high for any respectable party to recommend this strategy to its
voters. It is also quite improbable that after seeing one opinion poll
saying that republicans are leading, majority of democrat voters would
make an independent decision to vote strategically while republicans
would not do anything. Maybe individual voters would hope for the win
(and activists would fight until the last moment) instead of giving up
and voting strategically.

> On the bright side, as fewer reversals
> are necessary, one might also expect the A and B candidates to be more
> similar, so that the incentive for burying A would be less likely to be
> strong.
> 	Anyway, let me mention something that you may not have considered. You
> seem to be assuming that strategy will always be planned by some sort
> of a
> central leadership of a cohesive political unit, and that execution of
> the
> strategy depends on the obedience of voters at large to their party
> leaders. Actually, this is not my understanding of strategy. I suggest
> that _individual_ voters will use an insincere strategy

I don't want to assume that strategies are always party led. I just
needed something to explain why in your example only one party applied
some strategy and why the supporters of that party were so uniform in
selecting and applying the strategy.

If individuals use the strategies independently, then it is probable
that also republican (party A) voters would use some strategies. I
don't know if they would have used exactly the same strategy and
exactly the same way since the opinion polls promised them victory. But
despite of the narrow forecasted victory to republicans, the parties
were pretty much in identical situation in the opinion polls. With good
probability there was also another opinion poll according to which
democrats would win.

Making all the democrats understand the burying strategy requires also
systematic teaching, but that could have been done by the press too. If
democrats decide to vote strategically individually, then sufficient
understanding of strategic voting must must be available to others too.
Let's assume that the yellow press is interested of strategies and
educates and gives hints to the voters efficiently.

C supporters now probably understand that B supporters are going to
vote strategically. If they believe that C will not be elected in any
case, they might drop C out of their ballots and vote shortly A>B or
B>A (this is maybe the simplest scenario), which would change the
strategic setting. If C supporters believe that also A voters apply
similar burying strategy than B voters, they could keep their original
votes in the hope of C getting elected. B voters might also give up
strategic voting after realizing that C voters are not going to vote
for C. And if all these possibilities are known to all voters, I don't
know what they would do. Maybe they will stop voting, or maybe they
would campaign for some other voting method than Condorcet to be used,
or maybe they love plotting :-). Btw, probably there would be both
working and non-working strategy proposals flying around, as well as
different scenarios that depend on what other voters are expected to
do.

An alternative to these multiple strategic voting proposals by the
press could be to formulate some easy to understand rules that normal
voters could easily apply whatever the opinion polls say. Any such
rules available from you or elsewhere?

You could however also make a further modification to the example so
that C supporters would be completely neutral with respect to A and B.
Then they wouldn't care whether A or B wins. (Maybe I would then seek
explanations in the direction of low probability of such uniform
opinion among the C supporters...)

> not because
> someone tells them to, but because they perceive the probability of
> benefit times strength of benefit to be greater than the probability of
> harm times severity of harm (based on poll information and their own
> understanding of how the tally works). We can also assume that there
> are
> additional biases weighing in favor of sincerity, e.g. a sense of
> morality
> and civic pride... Hence, if the scale is near to the balancing point,
> it
> is likely that it will tip toward a sincere vote.
> 	As to burying strategies backfiring, yes, most burying strategies do
> carry some risk of getting a worse result. However, the direction
> risk/reward inequality will depend in large part on the strength of
> preferences involved. For example, imagine that my favorite candidate
> is
> Bush (not true in real life), and the other two candidates are Dean and
> Kerry. Let's say that my ranking is B>D>K, but I barely care at all
> about
> the difference between Dean and Kerry; any Democratic president would
> be
> just about equally horrible to me, whereas I'm a huge Bush fan. We can
> represent this symbolically as B>>D>K, or sometimes B>>>>>D>K. In this
> case, it seems more or less instinctive to rank Bush's closest
> competitor
> in third place, i.e. the candidate most likely to win his pairwise
> comparison with Bush. Let's say that this is Kerry. So I vote B>D>K.
> Yes,
> this might backfire, in that we might have Dean instead of Kerry, but
> if
> so, I haven't lost much. On the other hand, if the strategy succeeds,
> then
> I have gained an enormous amount.

Could you give also the details of this example (or is this just a
general comment that sometimes strategies are quite free of risks).
Maybe republicans got little less than 50% of the votes. Dean has more
supporters than Kerry. What then?

> (Taking into account the role of
> preference strength in the burying strategy is one of the major
> foundations of the CWP and AWP methods.)

Your efforts on this front are truly appreciated. It may be that giving
cardinal preferences just in case there would be a loop is a bit heavy
for practical elections (or maybe the ballots are about as simple as
the ordinal only ballots). But seeking the limits of taking voter
preferences into account as much as possible (and maybe also reducing
strategy risks) is valuable research.

Btw, have you considered CWP and margins. That would make the method
more natural to me. Or would you lose too many of the strategy defence
benefits?

> 	The main problem with strategy in margins is that stable
> counterstrategies are often not available.

Counterstrategies are a bit too rough stuff for my taste. I mean that
if strategies are generally used and also also counterstrategies to
defend against them, then we are probably too deep in the world of
strategies (to be considered for public elections). If the
vulnerability of Condorcet based methods to strategies is this bad in
real life, then it might be better to use some simpler and less
strategy dependent voting methods. Normal voters are hardly capable of
applying correct counterstrategies unless you have some very simple
rules for them to follow.

(In approval the best strategy has been widely discussed. Maybe that
could be close to understandable to general public. This is about the
acceptable level (or maybe already already too high) of use of
strategies in public elections.)

> As I tried to illustrate in my
> March 14 posting, this instability can be severe. WV tends to avoid the
> extreme instability of margins

I don't see the "extreme instability" although I understand that in
some cases WV can eliminate some additional threat. I guess all cases
where the true winner is replaced with one that clearly should not win
using a strategy that is implementable are severe.

> , although in some scenarios stability still
> may be elusive. S/WPO is the next step up after that, then AWP, and
> then
> CWP. That's how I see things, anyway.

In those voting methods one could get some strategy defence benefits
also with sincere votes (that you could also call an "unintentional
counterstrategy"). And I do find it much better if the sincere opinions
of the voters are used to define the winner than cases where the method
deviates from the path indicated by the sincere votes in order to be
strategy resistant, or when counterstrategies need to be applied.

Our discussion so far was pretty much applicable to all Condorcet
methods. How will you take the WV benefits and additional preference
information (S/WPO, AWP, CWP) into use? Should voters apply some
counterstrategy or do you think sincere votes would be enough in the
methods you mentioned?