[EM] A question in classroom creation

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sat Apr 16 16:16:31 PDT 2005

Michael,
	I think that you're problem is very interesting and fun! I remember that
when I was a kid, it was always a big deal who was in class with whom, and
there were plenty of hurt feelings over the years as a result. Here is the
first of what might be multiple proposals:

Proposal 1: Use a range ballot, e.g. integers from -3 to 3 inclusive.
	Consider every possible arrangement of children into the 4 classes.
	Give each possible arrangement a score as follows: Measure each child's
utility as the sum of his rating of all other children in the class. Sum
the utility scores for each child to find the total utility of the
arrangement.
	Choose the arrangement with the highest total utility. (If multiple
arrangements are tied, choose randomly between the arrangements with the
highest score.)

Commentary:
	This method, while perhaps optimal from a results point of view, seems
like it would take a lot of computing power. Given 100 children and 4
classrooms, how many possible arrangements are there? Is it somewhere
close to (4!)^25? So, 24^25? More than that? Yikes. I'm not much of a
computer expert, so someone else will have to tell me whether that's a
prohibitive computational cost.
	Is there a computationally cheaper method with a similar effect?

my best,
James
http://fc.antioch.edu/~james_green-armytage/voting.htm