[EM] Collecting Ordinal Information

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:10:15 PDT 2005

Forest,

I admire your creativity, but I'm afraid that your approach would face
insurmountable practical problems. For example:

Problem 1. Getting "scientific" polling results from partial samples is
a science. It can only be done reliably by unbiased organizations that
have no "axe to grind." Imagine the practical difficulty just getting a
consensus on how to select the participants. Note also that one of the
biggest challenges in scientific polling is how to deal with people who
do not answer the phone or who answer but refuse to participate (I've
heard that this comprises approximately 40% of those called).

Problem 2. If the identities of the participants are publicly known,
then bribes or coercion could be applied to influence their decisions.
Even if their identities are concealed, someone who wants to be bribed
will find a way to make their status known.

Problem 3. Your scheme would probably be unconstitutional in many if not
most races. Many voters, conservatives in particular, would never go
along with it.

I sympathize with your concern that voters don't have time to study all
the issues and candidates. The votes for judges are always particularly
confusing for me. All the typical voter has to go by is a half-page
statement by the candidates, which could be one big lie.

What is the answer? Well, I don't know the whole answer, but I think I
know a part of it. We need to discourage people from voting. That's
right: *discourage* them. All this stuff about encouraging people to
vote just for the sake of "participating in democracy" is a mistake, I
believe. Peolpe who don't understand the importance of voting are
unlikely to vote wisely and should not be encouraged to vote. People who
understand that the right to vote was earned with blood are more likely
to vote wisely, I believe.

People who vote because someone told them it's a good idea are usually
parasites who want something for nothing. Their vote is likely to be
calculated to forcibly transfer wealth from someone who earned it to
someone who did not -- themselves. Walter Williams calls this "legalized
theft."

--Russ