[EM] Re: Definite Majority Choice

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Apr 5 23:51:43 PDT 2005

Araucaria Araucana araucaria.araucana-at-gmail.com |EMlist| wrote:

> I happen to think that DMC is the simplest-to-grasp version of all
> three methods.  Here is one way to find the winner:
>
>       Eliminate any candidate defeated by another candidate with
>       higher total approval.
>
>       Among the remaining candidates, the candidate with the lowest
>       approval defeats all others and is the DMC winner.

I was just thinking about this procedure some more, and I came up with a
simple way to visualize the procedure (for simple-minded folks like me).
Order the pairwise matrix with Approval scores decreasing (or
non-increasing) on the diagonal, as usual. Then color the winning cells
of the pairwise matrix black and the losing cells white. The winner is
then the candidate who has a solid black row all the way from the left
column to the diagonal. If I am not mistaken, no more than one candidate
can have that, barring ties. If no candidate has it, then the Approval
winner is also the CW and takes the enchilada.

The RAV procedure can be visualized exactly the same way, thus
demonstrating that DMC and RAV are equivalent, if I am not mistaken.

--Russ