[EM] summary answers

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Mon Apr 4 20:36:13 PDT 2005

________________________________

Dear Curt, you described your example as 51 mild supporters of A and 49 passionate supporters of B, but how about

51 A(100), B(99)
49 B(60), A(40)

The 51 seem more enthusiastic (if not passionate) than the 49, and B seems to be a more moderate candidate.

Not knowing anything about the qualifications of A or B,  but being forced to mediate this election, I would tend to favor B, but I would be willing to give A a fair chance in a random ballot drawing.  Otherwise the 51 voters would see a slight reward for insincerely down rating B, and these honest ballots would be increasingly rare in future elections.

When elections give a fair chance to everybody, there is little incentive to manipulate one's way into a better position.  In the long run, the interests of democracy are better served when the pressure is lowered by a pinch of potential randomness, where appropriate.

I f  there is a Condorcet Winner, and this CW is also the approval winner, in that case there is no need for a random drawing, which is why I say "potential" randomness.

Otherwise, at minimum each member of the set P (consisting of candidates that pairwise beat every candidate with greater approval ) should have a chance at winning.

Sometimes I think that P should be expanded to include all candidates that have a beat path to the approval winner.

Forest

Curt wrote ...