[EM] James, Preference Pareto

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 22 20:11:05 PDT 2005

James--

Yes, that would be a way to define Pareto for preferences: If everyone
prefers X to Y and votes sincerely, Y shouldn't win.

I suppose Approval could fail that if everyone votes for both or neither of
X & Y, and  as a result X and Y are in a tie for first place, so X and Y
win. Or, if we count the random tiebreaker as part of the method, then Y
could win that tiebreaker.

As I define sincere voting, a sincere Approval ballot is one that doesn't
reverse a preference. That's the result of applying my general sincere
voting definition to Approval:

A voter votes sincerely if s/he doesn't reverse a preference or fail vote a
preference that the balloting system in use would have allowed him/her to
vote in addition to the preferences that s/he actually did vote.

[end of sincere voting definition]

Elsewhere I've defined reversing a preference and voting a preference.

Mike Ossipoff