[EM] contd, your method proposals

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 20 20:40:15 PDT 2005

Kevin--

You said:

Since you advocate PC, which fails clone independence and SDSC, I don't mind
selecting MinMax(pairwise opposition), which also fails those: Elect the
candidate
for whom the greatest number of votes against him in a contest is the lowest
such number among all candidates.

I reply:

Compared to PC, your method is indecisive, and more inclined to fail to
elect the CW.

Consider any standard wv truncation example:

40: A (B>C preference truncated)
25: B
35: CB

Maybe you might want to consider your best proposal?

You continued:

I think the worst strategy problem is either the clear incentive to
equal-rank
at the top, or the offensive order-reversal problem that WV methods also
have.

I reply:

Your method has a truncation  CW failure that PC doesn't have.

You continued:

In this scenario:
49 A
24 B(>C)
27 C(>B)

The result is a B-C tie, unless both B and C factions truncate, in which
case A wins.
Break the tie by Random Ballot.

I reply:

Ok, that's interesting, and a good thing--That method halfway gets rid of
the defection problem without ATLO. But, with ATLO, wv deals with the
problem. And your method has a price (described above) for its halfway
solution of the problem without ATLO.

You continue:

For a more sophisticated method, which satisfies clone independence and
SDSC,
I suggest to declare a tie among all candidates who are not barred from
winning
according to Markus' majority beatpath criterion. (I refer to this method as
"CDTT,RB.")

I reply:

The public doesn't like indecisiveness. Why don't you just propose
BeatpathWinner instead?

But either BeatpathWinner or CDTT,RB is a good method, if people don't mind
CDTT,RB's indecisiveness.

By the way, though someone has probably already mentioned this, the immune
set, the set of candidates who could be elected without violating the Strong
Beatpath Criterion (SBC) is the same as the winner set of BeatpathWinner.
SBC is based on Steve's BC.

Mike Ossipoff