[EM] Kevin-- ATLO & LNC

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:52:56 PDT 2005

Kevin--

I'd said:

>But LNH does have one use: It's one way of avoiding James'
>co-operation/defection dilemma. But that problem can also be well
>dealt-with via ATLO, and so there's no justification for giving up what
>needs to be given up in order to get LNH, as a way of avoiding the
>co-operation/defection dilemma.

You say:

Really?

I reply:

Yes really.

You continue:

Can ATLO make it so that given the following sincere preferences, the
B>C faction has no incentive to bullet vote?

I reply:

Yes. If the C voters appy ATLO below C, and rank C 1st and B 2nd, with their
ATLO line between C and B, then the B voters will have no incentive to
bullet vote.

Of course if the C voters and B voters aren't sure which of {B,C} is the CW,
and neither wants to elect A, and neither wants to be had by the other, then
both the B voters and the C voters should rank B and C, in sincere order of
preference, applying ATLO immediately below their favorite.

Here are the preference orderings of your example:

49 A
24 B>C
27 C>B

You continued:

Under WV, the B>C voters can get B elected if they vote only for B, whereas
they give the election to C if they give C a ranking.

I reply:

I thought you were talking about wv with ATLO. With ATLO wv, if the C voters
vote C in 1st place and B in 2nd place, with the ATLO line between C and B,
the B voters, if they bullet vote, will succeed only in electing A. If they
vote sincerely they get C, whom they like better than A.

You continued:

My conclusion is that there is no way to satisfy SDSC and address the
defection problem without electing C at least as often as B on the following
ballots:

I reply:

I have no idea what that means. But SD, SSD, BeatpathWinner/CSSD, MAM, and
RP meet SDSC. And, with ATLO, those ballots that you list below wouldn't
happen, given the preferences that you listed above.

The ballots that you listed:

49 A
24 B
27 C>B